Sunday, February 24, 2013

Thursday, February 21, 2013




We drove to Fort Myers today to tour the historical section. There is a series of geocaches there that require reading and noting specific details. My history classes were never this interesting. However, I understand that some schools are now using geocaching for some of their teaching.
















When we arrived at the old Army Post site, I immediately spied a place that I was just certain was the cache and was disappointed when I touched it that it didn't come off. A man observed what I did and he asked me if I was geocaching and then told me that his son is very involved in this activity and so he knew a bit about caching.


We noticed a “No Loitering” sign next to a bench. I couldn’t decide if sitting and resting on that bench would be considered loitering. Maybe sitting would be acceptable, but not napping?


When we visited the site of an old Pullman railroad car on the grounds of the Southwest Florida Museum of History, the ibises seemed to be accustomed to people and they paid no attention to us.

 
There were a lot of flowers blooming in town. Hard to believe it is nearly the end of February!


 I especially liked the front of City Hall.


We have watched the gasoline prices steadily climb to almost $4.00 per gallon. When Cordell saw a station that was selling it for $3.75 a gallon he decided to fill our tank. There were 20 pumps at the station and everyone single one was being used. After a short wait, we were able to pull up to a pump, but as soon as Cordell inserted the hose into our gas tank, we were so disappointed that the entire station has just run completely out of gas. This was at mid-afternoon and I could only imagine how much more gas that station would have been able to sell.


At one of the caches outside of the town proper, we saw a stork hanging around. Southwest Florida is certainly the place to be for seeing many different kinds of birds and seeing them often.




1 comment:

Melli said...

Birds? I think they're all just bags and sticks! :P

What is WITH these gas prices??? UGH! Puts a hurtin' on us geocachers... for sure!