The sentinels were standing watch over the lake again this morning and
the Great Blue Heron was behind the lines like a general---but there was no
flocking like our previous experience.
It was windy and cool here today--a bit too chilly to
spend time at the beach or at the swimming pool even though it is heated. It
was easy for us to decide to go geocaching again.
Our searches today mostly took us into some secluded
places in the middle of housing and commercial developments. We were able to
imagine what Florida looked like before it was settled.
Tamiami Trail, Route 41, is said to be the beauty and the
beast of Florida roads, a highway-time machine that passes through a paradise
of primeval forests and toothy animals as well as canyons of strip-shopping
malls and heart-stopping traffic. It's a road to diversity, marrying old
Florida with the new, low-culture with high. There is a portion that passes
through Bonita Springs that I admire every time we drive past it. From the bike
trail that runs alongside the road, there is a wall with beautiful landscaping.
There are four geocaches hidden along a half mile section
of the wall. It would have been easier if we had bicycles to ride, but we were
able to walk it instead.
I especially enjoyed seeing all the different flowers and
trees that were blooming. Of course, there is Spanish Moss just about everywhere.
We met a geocacher who lives in Naples and we were able
to share some tips with him. He told us about North Collier Regional Park where
he and his children have placed a cache.
We decided to check out the park and I hope to return to
it when we have all day to stay and when it is a bit warmer. Besides boardwalks
and other trails, there is a children’s museum and a huge water park there. It
reminded us a bit of the water park and boardwalk at Chesapeake Beach.
I almost stepped on two snakes today! I was looking at my
GPS and not paying attention to my feet. But, I was on the pavement both times
and didn’t really expect to see snakes there. Bikers and walkers were
frequently passing through these areas—but I guess not often enough! The black snake
skedaddled off the trail rather quickly, but the garter snake refused to give
up his place in the warm sun.
We went back to the flea market which seems to have
become a weekly occurrence for us. We wanted to buy some more local fresh vegetable
and fruit. I certainly am going to miss the tomatoes when I return to Maryland.
So, I am trying to eat my fill of them now!!
We ate our lunch at the market while being entertained with live music.
We think we have found a job for our good friend, Paul Robinson who sings and
plays the guitar very well.
So after finding 14 geocaches, we came back to the condo
and settled back in for a calm night which turned out to be exciting as we
watched the Maryland Terps beat Duke. I thought I heard the Maryland fans
cheering all the way down here!!


1 comment:
All I can say is enjoy those flowers and GREEN grass... cuz it sure is NOT happening here! Winter has never depressed me so much as it has since I came home from down south! I think it's actually harder to endure when you've had a break! I am LIVING for April!!! (and it can't get here sooooooon enough!) (is this really ME speaking???)
Post a Comment